GCVS Newsletter Issue 8
A message from the Executive Director
Dear GCVS family,
My favorite part of this time of year is that the days are longer and many of us feel more productive and energized. Next week’s spring break is part of that reboot. While the break is a good opportunity to get caught up, it’s very important to take time for yourself and do something you want to do.
As we approach the end of the year, we will be opening registration for the 2019-2020 school year soon. We’re streamlining the enrollment process, which will make it easier for you to enroll for the fall early. The new registration forms are scheduled to be available in about two weeks.
After we return from break, we will have a meet-up for our K-8 students at Old Sturbridge Village. This is the trip that was re-scheduled from the fall and we hope all of you can join us there. High school students can look forward to our annual school dance, and the date has been set for the end-of-year picnic for the whole school. Details follow in the rest of the newsletter.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call us or email!
All the best,
MCAS Test Date Reminder
We know MCAS isn’t what you want to think about before your spring break, but we wanted to reminder you about a few MCAS test dates that are coming up in first few weeks of May:
- Grades 3, 4, 5 Math – Wednesday, May 1
- Grades 6, 7, 8 Math – Tuesday, May 7
- Grades 5 & 8 Science – Wednesday, May 8
Make sure you bring your fully-charged Chromebook or laptop, your power cord, and a lunch on testing days. Your time at testing will count towards your school attendance each testing day.
Students can benefit from practicing their test taking before the date of the test. It’s important for students to become familiar with computer-based testing and the reference sheets available to them.
The practice site is here: http://mcas.pearsonsupport.com/student/ It may help your students feel more comfortable before testing to take a look at the practice exams.
Annual High School Dance
Our annual High School Dance is coming up on May 17 at the La Quinta in Springfield! We’d love to see all of our high school students (Grades 9-12) join us for a night of fun and to see GCVS staff try to dance. We want it to to be the night you want it to be, so come dressed in a gown or tux or jeans and a t-shirt! This night is about you!
- 6PM- Appetizers: Fruit, Hummus & Veggies, Assorted Dips and Crackers
- 7PM- Pasta Station: Penne Pasta, Tri-Color Rotini, Linguine, Marinara, Alfredo & Mushroom, Marsala Sauce, Chicken, Italian Style Meatballs, Specialty Breads
- 7PM- Taco Station: Hard and Soft Shell Tacos, Seasoned Beef, Fire Roasted Chicken, Salsa, Sour Cream, Jalapenos, Black Olives, Tomatoes, Shredded Lettuce, Cheese, Tortilla Chips
- 8PM- Dessert Station: Array of desserts including: Fruit and Cream Pies, Cakes, Parfaits, and Freshly Baked Cookie and Brownies
The cost is $10 per GCVS student and $25 for guests of students.
Guests should be of high school age and will need to have a waiver signed in order for them to attend. If you plan on bringing a guest, please indicate that when you RSVP. Ms. Powers will then contact you with the next steps to complete the waiver.
- RSVP by April 26th using the following link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfeCdlDK3Y15aZH9s9GuH1P6aDbuKTr2WvI7Yv9JOCSF8lO_g/viewform?usp=sf_link
- Send a check or money order for GCVS students and guests who are attending. This must be postmarked no later than April 26th. Check or money order can be made out to GCVS.
- Please fill our and complete waiver for GCVS student and guest, if applicable. If you have any other questions, just call or c-mail Ms. Powers 413-475-3879 Extension 24
Old Sturbridge Village Trip – April 26, 2019
We’re meeting at Old Sturbridge Village on April 26th and we hope all of our Elementary and Middle School students can join us!
The day begins at 10 am, with activities and events scheduled through 2 pm. There will be plenty of time to explore on your own, and there will also be teacher-led educational activities and lessons throughout the day. Lunch will be on your own.
The cost for GCVS students in grades K-8 is FREE, and each chaperone will be expected to pay $15.00. Admission for non-GCVS siblings is $10.00. Please submit a check to GCVS by Friday April 12th.
We hope to see you there! In-person attendance is not mandatory, however it is counted. If you do not plan on joining us in-person, students will need to be present virtually. A link will be provided closer to the day of the trip.
Save the Date for the End-of-Year Picnic – June 13
GCVS Grades K-12 will celebrate the end of the year on the last day of school with the annual End-of-Year Picnic at Dean Park in Shrewsbury!
This is a great time to meet up with your friends and your teachers, and take part in fun activities like volleyball, a kickball game, or bubblemaking. This is a relaxed meet-up, and we will share more information about it soon.
Setting up Canvas
If you have not yet set up an account for yourself in Canvas, please do so! We use Canvas as one of the primary ways we communicate with our families.
If you need help, the steps to help get your account up and running are here: https://gcvs.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/33000231269-how-to-pair-your-observer-a