The Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education has released the results of the Spring 2017 testing cycle. We received the individual student results in the office and will be mailing them out to families next week. There are currently two versions of the test for students. Students in grades 3-8 were given the new MCAS 2.0 test for English Language Arts and Mathematics. Students in grade 10 were given the original MCAS test, known as the Legacy version. Students in grades 5 and 8 were also administered the Legacy version MCAS in science.
The achievement levels are measured differently in the two versions of the tests and the reports you will receive will reflect the new version for those students in which the MCAS 2.0 test was administered. Those students who took legacy versions of the test will have them reported according to prior accountability scales. Please visit the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education’s Parent/Guardian Information page on the MCAS for more information: http://www.doe.mass.edu/mcas/parents/.
State Department Site Visit
The Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education will be conducting its annual visit to GCVS to assess our work on Thursday, December 14, 2017. In preparation for that visit, several state department members will be observing live lessons to see how teachers and students work together. Those observations will take place, starting next week, and over the next several weeks prior to their arrival. So, should you see a new adult in your child’s class, that’s who it is. They will not be participating, but just seeing all the wonderful things our teachers and students do together.
Learning Coach Community Meeting: November 1st, 2 pm
We will be hosting a special LCC meeting on Wednesday, November 1st, at 2pm. Our focus at this meeting will be to help all learning coaches/observers learn how to navigate the Canvas platform from your perspective. We will go over how to use the calendar, send messages, monitor grades/progress and set up notification preferences.
We hope you will join us by clicking in this link- https://zoom.us/j/9672842201.
We will also add this event to our GCVS School Wide calendar.
Upcoming November Reminders
Next week is November already! Where did the time go? Here are important dates/reminders for November that you may want to mark on your calendars:
- Friday, November 3rd is a full day for students. Teachers will be working on grades for the first quarter that afternoon, so there will be no live classes, but there will be asynchronous assignments given for students to complete for classes during that time.
- Fourth quarter grades will close on Thursday, November 9th. Report cards will go out later in the month.
- MCAS retests for high schoolers who need to take them will take place on November 8th, 9th, and 14th (ELA); and November 15th and 16th (Math). Students who will need to take these tests will be notified individually.
- There will be no school on Friday, November 10th, in observance of Veterans Day
- There will be no school Wednesday, November 22nd, through Friday, November 24th, in observance of the Thanksgiving holiday.