Our school year has gotten off to a great start! It was great to see so many of our families across the state as we met both in person and virtually for a Bigger, Brighter Beginning! Everyone had a chance to test out our new tools, meet new friends, and renew old ones. A big thank-you goes out to all the GCVS staff who worked so hard to make these sessions possible for a strong start to the school year!
In the days of multiple ways to ask questions, it is important to have clear lines of communication so you can get your questions and concerns answered quickly. So here are some tips…
- Our main number is 413.475.3879 and from there you can reach anyone in our school!
- Have a question about a class or a class assignment? Message your teacher in Canvas through that class. That’s the best and quickest way to get those questions answered.
- Have some Canvas-related technical difficulties? Access the help menu on the bottom of the green navigation bar on your Canvas screen. The Canvas Commons (on the same navigation bar) also provide a lot of videos and documents about how to navigate the system.
- Having some other technical difficulties? If you are using a school-loaned Chromebook, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This initiates a help desk ticket that Chris Moody, our Tech Support Specialist, will respond to as soon as he can. If you are trying to address a problem on a device that is not a school-issued device, you may have to seek other avenues to get help with any issues on that device.
- Need to report your child’s absence/illness so we know that they will not be in school on a regularly scheduled school day? Send an email to email@example.com or call the office at 413.475.3879 and dial extension 36 to leave a message for Mr. Marrapese, our School Nurse.
- Are you a high school student or Learning Coach of one with a question about scheduling, course selection, or all things college? Reach out to Ms. Caulfield (Last names A-L) or Mr. Gauthier (Last names M-Z), who can help you with those things.
- Need to reach out to a Family Engagement Coordinator regarding your child? Ms. Oliveira is your go-to for grades K-4, Mr. Hand is the contact for grades 5-8, and Ms. Powers is the one you want to speak to if you have a 9-12 student.
- Questions about student services, including special education and English as a second language? Mr. Kumin, Director of Student Services, is your best point of contact.
- Questions about our curriculum and overall program offerings? Mr. Runyan, Director of Teaching and Learning, is the best point of contact.
- Questions about the enrollment or re-enrollment process? Ms. Simonelli, our Enrollment Specialist, is your best point of contact there.
- General questions about the school can be answered by calling our main number, 413.475.3879, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
As many of you have discovered, we have a Twitter feed @GCVSchool and an official school Facebook Page: Greenfield Commonwealth Virtual School – GCVS. There is also a parent Facebook Page, GCVS – Greenfield Commonwealth Virtual School, which is a great place for parents to share information with each other. While social media is a great venue for getting information out quickly, it is not the greatest way to get the questions listed above answered. In those cases, direct contact with the school is your best and most efficient way to get those questions answered.
At GCVS, we are committed to a partnership with our families and we hope that this information is helpful to you in getting your questions and concerns addressed. Just a reminder that there is no school on Monday, September 3rd, in observance of the Labor Day holiday. We look forward to being back on line with our students on Tuesday, September 4th!
Have a great long weekend! Dr. Judith Houle, Executive Director